i was thinking the other day about all the music tapes memorabilia i have and i figured i had a lot of things, so i wrote it out in list form to see just how many, and as it turns out, i have more things than i thought.
we’ll list in order of most common to most rare. or at least what i think is most common and most rare. i’m not sure about some of the things and i’m too lazy to try to figure it out. but the last thing is most definitely most rare.
(also i recognize that the singing saw at christmastime isn’t “the music tapes” per se, but go with it. but if i am going by that logic, shouldn’t i also be listing both chocolate usa cds? i have them both. consider them listed.)
- the music tapes for clouds and tornadoes cd.
- the singing saw at christmastime cd.
- first imaginary symphony for nomad cd (with pop up).
- the music tapes for clouds and tornadoes 12”.
- the singing saw at christmastime 12”.
- a poster promoting the singing saw at christmastime.
- two music tapes pins.
- green friend of music tapes shirt with red ink.
- white raglan with black sleeves featuring the gentlefellows and metronome from the music tapes for clouds and tornadoes.
- music tapes pillowcase (in which sleeps the music tapes blessed pillow).
- music tapes kazoo (with intact reindeer game [i made a copy of it so as not to have to cut the actual copy that came with the kazoo because i have problems]).
- purim’s shadows (the dark tours the world) tour only cd-r with music-headed man artwork and hand written liner notes (i’m actually not sure how limited this was, since i know julian was assembling copies all through the tour).
- why is the president crying/untitled flamenco solo picture disc 7” from stop smiling magazine (#452 out of 1000).
- the television tells us/freeing song by reigndeer 7” (earworm european pressing of 500) (with pop up artwork and lyrics poster and bonus small blue poster).
- please hear mister flight control/smoke is a fireman’s friend 7” (with pop up artwork and poster by brian dewan).
- the first imaginary symphony for nomad 12” (with pop up artwork and comic strip poster by brian dewan).
- erika records inc. test pressing of please hear mister flight control/smoke is a fireman’s friend 7” in very beaten white paper sleeve with very faintly written “music tapes” in somebody’s writing (maybe julian’s? it doesn’t really look like his, but it might be) in dying green marker.
- the second imaginary symphony for cloudmaking on cd-r with a nesey gallons’ decorated label with poster of nigh (which has suffered a small tear because i am bad at life).
- various items left at my house after the lullabye delivery evening in 2010, consisting of; a length of green and white polka dotted ribbon, a green peppermint candle, a broken blue light bulb, several strips of paper).
- a test pressing of music tapes for clouds and tornadoes in a ray kinney record sleeve that nesey decorated with encyclopedic clippings, with nesey drawings on the record label (with ray kinney’s “lovely hula hands” still included [which is funny, because i already had that record prior to purchasing the test pressing]).
- a christmas card featuring artwork by sarah (the lovely artist who did the ice palace drawing in the liner notes for the music tapes for clouds and tornadoes), with drawings and very brief notes on the inside from julian, nesey, sarah, and ian (ludders) from the day i first met all those kind folks for belated christmas carolings.
(that last item is one of my most prized possessions in the history of prized possessions and would probably be the first thing i would try to rescue if my house were ever to catch fire. it was one of the most lovely days i have ever had and i hold it very close.)
(and of course there’s also the metronome love patch sweater and the music tapes garland i made, but those don’t really count as they are not officially sanctioned music tapes memorabilia, right? [although they could be! and maybe should be??? they should let me know. well, first they should know about their existences. and then, yeah! payment could be monetary and/or in physical manifestations of appreciation and adoration. i mean, who wouldn’t want cuddle times with any of those fellows and/or a seven foot tall metronome?])